Mechanical Engineering Collection

Mechanical Engineering has been taught at the University of Dundee since the institution began as University College Dundee in 1883. For many years Civil and Mechanical Engineering were taught as one subject in what is now the Harris Building. The Fulton Building (named after Prof Angus Fulton) was constructed in 1960-4, providing improved facilities for both Civil and Mechanical Engineering. An extension was added in 1967, by which time a separate Chair of Mechanical Engineering had been established. In 2000 the department of Mechanical Engineering was re-formed as part of a new School of Engineering and Physical Sciences and now forms the Division of Mechanical Engineering & Mechatronics.

Click below to see some of the objects in the department held by the University Museum Collections...

Find out more at about the rest of the Engineering Collections by clicking on the links below:

Prof Fulton by McIntosh Patrick

"Professor Angus Fulton by J McIntosh Patrick, 1947"
Born and brought up in Dundee, Fulton graduated in 1907 and joined the engineering department as assistant to Prof Fidler. He took over the department in 1914, becoming Professor in 1920. From 1939-46 he was Principal of University College.

Skip to top ↑