Engineering Collections

Engineering has been taught at the University of Dundee since the institution began as University College Dundee in 1883. The first Professor of Engineering & Drawing was James Ewing, followed in 1891 by Thomas Caxton Fidler. For many years Civil and Mechanical Engineering were taught as one subject in what is now the Harris Building. Electrical Engineering (then part of Physics) was based in the Peters Building. A separate Chair of Electrical Engineering was established in 1947, and the department moved to the new Ewing Building in 1953-4.

The Fulton Building was constructed in 1960-4, providing improved facilities for both Civil and Mechanical Engineering. An extension was added in 1967, by which time separate Chairs had been established for the two subjects. All three divisions are now part of the School of Engineering, Physics and Mathematics.

Find out more about the Engineering Collections:

Skip to top ↑