University to honour leading figures
Published On Wed 13 May 2015 by Roddy Isles
Leading figures in the worlds of literature, cinema, science and the media will be honoured by the University of Dundee at its summer Graduations in June.
Ten honorary graduates will receive the degree of Doctor of Laws (LLD) from the University. They are:
- Brian Taylor, one of the Scotland’s most respected political commentators
- Seamus McGarvey, Oscar-nominated cinematographer (`Atonement’ & `Anna Karenina’)
- Dave Gibbons, graphic novelist and artist, illustrator of the classic `Watchmen'
- Justin Fletcher, BAFTA-winning actor and children’s television presenter
- Roddy Doyle, Booker Prize-winning author, screenwriter and dramatist
- Professor Frank Grosveld, internationally renowned molecular biologist
- Stuart MacBride, one of the UK’s most acclaimed crime writers
- Bill Forsyth, film director and writer (‘Gregory’s Girl’, ‘Local Hero’)
- Dr Jung Chang, author and campaigner
- Professor Neil Buist, internationally recognised expert in child health
“This University’s core mission is to transform lives through the creation and sharing of knowledge, and in our honorary graduates we recognise individuals who have done that in their own lives and can stand as the best possible role models for our students and staff,” said Professor Pete Downes, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University.
“Each of the people we will award an honorary degree to this summer fits that description. They have achieved great things in fields that are directly relevant to our own students here at Dundee, from Justin Fletcher’s fantastic work with young children to Professor Frank Grosveld’s groundbreaking work in molecular biology, and from Dave Gibbons’ standing as one of the world’s most read graphic novelists to Bill Forsyth’s status as Scotland’s greatest filmmaker.
“I look forward to welcoming all of them to Dundee this summer.”
The Graduation ceremonies take place from Wednesday June 24th to Friday June 26th in the Caird Hall in Dundee. Around 3500 students will receive their own degrees and diplomas over the course of the week, one of the highlights of the academic calendar.
NOTES TO EDITORS
There will be photo opportunities with each of the Honorary Graduates before the ceremony in the Robing Room of Dundee City Chambers. These will be from 9.30am for the morning ceremonies (which begin at 10am) and 2pm for the afternoon ceremonies (which begin at 2.30pm).
The ceremonies where honorary degrees will be conferred are:
Wednesday 24th June
Morning ceremony – Brian Taylor
Afternoon ceremony – Seamus McGarvey and Dave Gibbons
Thursday 25th June
Morning ceremony – Justin Fletcher and Roddy Doyle
Afternoon ceremony – Frank Grosveld and Stuart MacBride
Friday 26th June
Morning ceremony – Bill Forsyth and Jung Chang
Afternoon ceremony – Neil Buist
Head of Press
TEL: 01382 384910
MOBILE: 07800 581902